The controller connects and controls all of the other electrical components on the bike. In the unlikely event that your controller is damaged or determined to be non-functional by Rad Power Bikes Product Support, you will need to replace it.
If you are not confident in your ability to successfully and safely perform all steps, we recommend having the work performed by a local, certified, and reputable bike mechanic.
Gather the tools you will need:
- A Phillips head screwdriver(optional: a stubby screwdriver for easier access),
- Flat side cutters,
- A few zip ties, and
- The replacement controller from Rad Power Bikes
Access the Controller
- Turn off the bike, remove the battery, and discharge remaining power.Press and hold the MODE button on the LCD display remote until the display turns off. Turn the battery key barrel to the off-and-unlocked position, then remove the battery. Press and hold the MODE button again until the display remains off.
- Remove the controller mounting bolts. Locate the controller on the downtube, above the bottom bracket. Press the Phillips head screwdriver firmly against the bolt and turn slowly to prevent stripping the bolt head. Remove all four mounting bolts and two mounting brackets and set them aside.
Disconnect and Remove the Controller
- Unplug each connector from the controller. Trace each cable coming out of the top and bottom of the controller to the connector. Snip zip ties as needed, and unplug each connector by pulling directly apart without twisting.
- Remove the old controller and dispose of it according to local electronics recycling rules.
Install the New Controller
- Position the new controller on the downtube so the mounting holes face the downtube and the side of the controller with the single cable is pointed upward.
- Secure the controller to the downtube. Pass a bolt through a bracket and into a mounting point on the controller. Thread the bolt by hand and tighten partway. Repeat with the other bolts and mounting bracket. Ensure the shifter cable and brake cable on either side of the downtube are clear of the controller, mounting brackets, and bolts.
- Center and secure the controller. Ensure the controller is centered on the downtube, then tighten the four bolts evenly.
Connect the New Controller
- Plug in the wiring harness cable. Pass the cable coming out of the top of the controller through the cable guide on the downtube. Align the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press directly together, without twisting, to fully seat the connection.
- Plug in each remaining connector. Pass the connectors through the frame stand and toward the back of the bike. Locate the matching connector end. Carefully align the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press each side directly together, without twisting, to fully seat the connection.
- Organize the cables and replace any zip ties. Secure all cables so they are clear of any moving parts. Snip zip tie excess and ensure the cut is flush and smooth.
- Reinstall the battery, check that all cables are free from any moving parts, and test the bike fully before riding.