The RadMini wiring harness can be replaced in the unlikely event it is damaged or determined to be non-functional by Rad Power Bikes Product Support.
Follow the steps below to replace the wiring harness on your RadMini. This guide uses a RadMini 4 but the steps will be similar for other RadMini models.
If you are not confident in your ability to safely and successfully perform all steps, we recommend having the work performed or checked by a local, certified, and reputable bike mechanic.
You will need:
- Flat side cutters
- A few zip ties
- The replacement wiring harness from Rad Power Bikes
Remove the Old Wiring Harness
- Get the bike ready for maintenance. Turn off the bike, remove the battery, and press and hold MODE to discharge remaining power.
- Locate the wiring harness connector at the front of the bike.
- Unplug the display connector from the wiring harness. Snip zip ties as needed to create cable slack. Untwist the metal portion, then pull each side of the connector directly apart, without twisting, to unplug.
- Unplug the rest of the connectors from the wiring harness. Locate each connector then pull each side directly apart without twisting to unplug.
- Locate and unplug the wiring harness connector on the underside of the downtube. Snip zip ties as needed and unplug the connector.
- Remove the wiring harness from the cable guides on the bike frame. Recycle the part according to local rules.
Continue to the next section to install the new wiring harness.
Install the New Wiring Harness
- Locate the new wiring harness and orient it so the side with the single connector points toward the back of the bike.
- Carefully pass the single connector end through the cable guides on the underside of the downtube.
- Plug in the connector to the controller. Align the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press directly together, without twisting, to connect.
- Route the wiring harness cable along the right side of the bike.
- Plug in all connectors at the handlebar.
- Start with the display connector. Align the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press each side directly together, without twisting, to connect. Then, twist each metal portion together to fully seat the connection.
- Plug in the remaining connectors. Align the internal notch and pins (and external arrows) and press each side directly together, without twisting, to connect.
- Replace any snipped zip ties and trim them to be flush and smooth.
- Check that all cables are free from any moving parts. Rotate the handlebar to ensure it can move freely and that there is enough cable slack.
- Reinstall the battery, test the bike fully before riding, and ride Rad!